You ready for TikTok and those Strict Tracking fixes? Many thanks for your patience and for the dozens of you who chimed in with bugs and requests on Github. I have a massive update for you today!
Ok, TikTok support is here. This required a ton of work - Fraidycat can now scrape rendered websites. Previously Fraidycat could only download pages and scrape the raw code - now it can simulate a visit to the page.
However, you might see your TikTok follow show up with NO POSTS.
Both Instagram and TikTok are having intermittent issues. I don’t know if this is due to a spike in Internet traffic or not. My advice is to put the follow into Fraidycat and it will work itself out some time over the next hour.
I was attempting to get Fraidycat ready for the Bandcamp fundraiser a few weeks ago. Well, here it is now. Bandcamp artists and YouTube playlists are ALSO now supported.
A few Bandcamp releases I’ve been enjoying this season:
- corncob’s RANDY. You think the songs are going to go one direction and then - they go much further that direction.
- Adultry Kidding’s PSALM 91. Sometimes squeaky. Sometimes smashy.
- katydid’s ‘i am so happy that we were in the same place at the same time’. Found this on special.fish/pirl.
- pipe-eye’s Inside/Outside. I just love this particular Australian.
The YouTube playlist feature lets you follow a playlist, so that you can be notified when videos are added to it.
Here’s a rundown of all the changes:
- TikTok, Bandcamp and YouTube playlist support.
- Strict Tracking issues in Firefox resolved thanks to @quad.
- Left-hand side expand/collapse arrow.
- Fix RSS dates from non-locale timezones.
- Retweets can be hidden using the ‘Hide Reposts’ option in the filtering menu.
- Improved graphs: if there are only three posts in the last two months, a gray six month graph will be shown. No graph if there is no activity in the last six months.
- New follow bookmarklet.
- RSS feeds without URLs are no longer broken.
- RSS feeds with only enclosure URLs (such as the https://feeds.megaphone.fm/replyall podcast feed) now work.
- RSS feeds served with an HTML mime type are fixed (such as the http://melonds.kuribo64.net/rss.php feed).
- Bug in sorting was causing feeds to skip updates and to sort incorrectly.
- Light mode toggle.
- Bug in variable replacement was causing ‘$350,000’ in titles to show as ‘,000’. Possible security fix.
- No more ‘50Y’ timestamps. If a feed has no posts, the update date is hidden now.
- Switched to the ‘Inria Sans’ font. I like Signika better - but I’m having issues with jittery font layout and bad kerning on the Windows electron app.
The URL for the new follow bookmarklet is:
I’ll go more into how to use this in a future post. For now, get your downloads at fraidyc.at. (Firefox extensions can be updated immediately, Chrome will likely take until the end of the week.)